Jerk Chicken Taco with Coconut Mayo
Chefs Latoya Fagon and Chef Noel Cunningham give a Caribbean twist to taco at the 2017 Jerkfest in Toronto August 12.
Recipe of the Week (Passport) September 2017
It's always time for taco and there is no better fun than making your own at home. This recipe was a winner at 2017 Toronto Jerk fest and not to mention that the hosts at Cp24 Breakfast show raved about it. Here is your chance to get a taste of goodness.
- 3 large chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1/2 cup slaw, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 taco sized soft tortillas
- lime wedges, for serving
- 2 medium tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp Jerk marinade
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp grace coconut vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grace virgin coconut oil
- Dijon mustard, optional
- Season chicken breasts with jerk seasoning, leave to marinate for an hour or overnight. Cook in an oven at 350F for 10 minutes on a baking tray or until cooked through. Slice into strips.
- To make mayo: whisk together egg yolks, mustard, and vinegar. Add about 1/4 cup oil drop by drop, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Whisk in lemon juice, then add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a very slow, thin stream, whisking constantly until well blended. If at any time it appears that oil is not being incorporated, stop adding oil and whisk mixture vigorously until smooth, then continue adding oil. Whisk in salt to taste and white pepper. Chill, surface covered with plastic wrap, until ready to use.
- Assemble tacos. Place cabbage and lettuce on each tortilla. Top with chicken, the drizzle with sauce. Top with chopped cilantro and tomato. Serve with fresh lime wedges for drizzling on tacos.
-By Noel Cunningham
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: