Photo by Rosemary Parkinson, Nyam Jamaica and Barbados Bu'n Bu'n
Ponche Crema is traditionally served in many islands during the holidays. Here is my recipe for this delightful morning-before-the-big lunch drink.
- Half litre to one litre of white or brown rum
- 12 eggs, well beaten (until fluffy)
- 6 tins evaporated milk
- 2 tins condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 grated nutmeg
- 1 continuous piece of the zest of one lime
- Pour evaporated milk into the fluffy egg mixture and continue beating slowly. In order, add condensed milk, rum, and vanilla. Continue beating throughout the process.
- Pour into clean bottles, add a piece of zest in each and cap.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- To serve, pour over ice, add two dashes of Angostura Bitters, sprinkle with nutmeg.
Bottles can last for several days in refrigerator.
-By Rosemary Parkinson
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org