Bahamian Christmas Fruit Cake
Photo by Rosemary Parkinson, Nyam Jamaica and Barbados Bu'n Bu'n
Winter 2007, JamaicanEats magazine
- 1 cup butter (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons orange or lemon zest
- 1/3 cup glazed cherries, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups raisins – steamed in wine and soaked in rum
- 3-1/2 cups vanilla pound cake crumbs, loosely packed
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt pan.
- Cream butter and shortening with sugar. Stir in milk and flavorings, and add flour sifted with salt and baking powder.
- Mix on low until just incorporated, scraping down once or twice.
- Add cake crumbs, cherries and raisins. Fold in until just incorporated (mixture should fall from spoon easily). Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- If desired, pour rum butter sauce over cake and/or glaze before serving.
-By Dawn Mitchell
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org