Mackerel Run Down
Photo by Franz Marzouca/Courtesy of Enid Donaldson't Real Taste of Jamaica
- 2 pounds/1 kg pickled, boneless mackerel
- 2 cups coconut milkor 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 stalks escallion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (or other hot pepper), finely chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To remove some of the salt from the mackerel, soak in water overnight or boil in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water from the mackerel and cut into small pieces.
- Combine coconut milk and water in a frying pan and boil to an oily custard.
- Add the mackerel and cover the pot. Cook for 10 to12 minutes on medium heat.
- Add and stir the onion, garlic, escallion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme and vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve, using all the oily custard, with green bananas, yam, roasted breadfruit and dumplings.
Alternatives: Prepare and substitute saltfish (cod), vegetables, or chicken for the mackerel to create other rundown dishes.
-By Enid Donaldson-Mignotte
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: