Diabetic (Low Sugar Fancy) Fruit Cake
Photo by Rosemary Parkinson
Winter 2007, JamaicanEats magazine
- 1 box yellow Sweet & Low cake mix (bake according to instructions)
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ cups baking flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of one orange
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ½ cups rum-soaked fruits
Use any diabetic frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Grate the baked Sweet & Low cake into coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix.
- Add vanilla, almond extract. Stir by hand. Add milk and stir.
- Sift with salt and baking powder. Fold into wet ingredients in two parts.
- Add water, fold in.
- Stir in orange zest.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of cake crumbs over mixture, add fruits and fold.
- Spoon into buttered and floured 10-inch pan. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
- Remove cake to cooling rack and add glaze and sprinkles when cooled to room temperature.
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org