St. Lucian Barbecue Chicken
Winter 2007, JamaicanEats magazine
- One whole chicken – cut in pieces, cleaned and washed in lime
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 sprig chives, finely chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- ½ Scotch bonnet pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable, olive or coconut oil
- Prick chicken pieces all over with a fork. Place chicken and all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for several hours before cooking.
- Place chicken pieces on a barbecue or wood-fire grill. Brush liberally with sauce, turning the pieces over and over, brushing with more sauce all the while until cooked. Do not allow to burn or overcook.
This recipe can also be done in an oven:
- Place chicken in a greased baking pan, cover with sauce and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 slice fresh ginger, grated
- 1 bottle tomato ketchup (or can of tomato sauce)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (or ½ cup fresh lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon tamarind sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ Scotch Bonnet, deseeded, finely chopped
- ¼ cup rum, brandy or wine
- Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
-By Rosemary Parkinson, from the book Culinaria:The Caribbean
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com