Coconut rice 2 ways
Photo by Carlington Wilmot
March-June 2009, JamaicanEats magazine
- 3 14-ounce cans coconut milk
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter/margarine
- Pour coconut milk into a large sauce pan. Add sugar and stir.
- Cover the pan and first bring to a boil, then let simmer until the coconut milk is reduced by half.
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Add to the pot and season with salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer, stirring several times, for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the butter/margarine with the rice, cover the pot and let simmer gently for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove, keep the lid on and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Toasted shredded fresh coconut
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest until needed. Serve hot garnished with toasted coconut.
- Chef Dennis McIntosh
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org