Bajan Peas and Rice
Winter 2007, JamaicanEats magazine
- 1 salted pig’s tail, cut up
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 piece Scotch Bonnet pepper to taste, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup cooked (or canned) pigeon (gungo) peas
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water or equal parts coconut milk and water
- Boil the first four ingredients in 2 cups of water until pig’s tail is soft. Add enough liquid to maintain the 2 cup measure.
- Add peas and rice, bring to boil. Lower heat and cook for 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
-By Brenda Foster
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org