Old-Style Ginger Beer
Photo by Grace Cameron
- 1/4 pound/112g ginger root
- 1 pound/450g sugar
- 1/2 pound/225g lime
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup of crushed ice
- Wash the ginger root to remove any dirt or foreign matter, then cut the ginger root into tiny pieces.
- Put ginger in a blender one handful at a time until the blender is 3/4 ways full, each time.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the ginger. Puree and allow ginger to process until grounded to a pulp.
- Remove pulp and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup water to pulp.
- Squeeze the pulp in your palm, allowing the juice to flow through the strainer. Put the squeezed pulp on a plate to the side.
- Repeat the process until all the pulp is squeezed. Add water to the squeezed pulp that you put on a plate earlier, in a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze this pulp again. Drain ginger beer in another container through the strainer so as to stop any remaining pulp from getting in the final product.
- Mix all ingredients together. Your drink is ready.
Note: Dilute with water if it is too harsh.
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: