Fluffy White Rice
Photo by Jackie Fraser-Dunfield
Issue 1, 2017
Ditch the pricey rice cooker. Say goodbye to sticky, clumpy, burned...(insert your woe)...white rice forever. We’ve got 2 ways for you to cook the perfect pot of rice. You Pick – the Chinese ‘secret’ to good-eating, fluffy rice or perfect, simple rice from Cook’s Illustrated magazine.
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter or add the vegetable oil.
- Add the rice and stir for about 3 mins. until the grains become chalky.
- Add water and salt. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Stir the contents to blend everything.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 20 mins. until all the water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat. Remove the lid from the pot and place a dish towel, folded in half, over the pot. Replace the lid and let stand for 10 to 15 mins.
- Fluff rich and serve.
How to...cook rice, according to the scientists
- Measure the dry rice in a jug and soak overnight.
- Wash, then rinse the rice really well, until the water is clear. Drain really well.
- Place rice in a saucepan with 5 parts water to 1 part rice (plus a little salt) and stir once.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down and cover the pan tightly with a lid.
- Cook on the lowest heat possible for 10-15 mins. with the pan closed.
- Use a fork to fluff up the cooked rice.
- The Telegraph, U.K.
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org