Lechon Asado: Roasted or Barbecued Suckling Pig
Photo by Rosemary Parkinson
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
Generally roasted outdoors on fire spits, the pig is basted with sour orange juice, annatto colouring and Adobo seasoning. When the skin is crispy and bright orange, succulent pieces are carved for serving However, to make life easier, you can roast the pig in your oven.
- One suckling pig (about 30 pounds or about 15 kilograms)
- 4 cups sour orange juice
- Annatto colouring (to make, soak annatto seeds in oil and simmering until golden)
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning, or seasoning of choice.
- Wash and prepare suckling pig.
- Baste with mixture of sour orange juice, annatto andAdobe.
- Place in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees F and bake for about 20 minutes per pound. Do not allow to overcook. If desired,the pig can also be stuffed, using a basic stuffing recipe to fill the cavity before roasting.
- Serve with Aji-li-mojoli sauce (recipe below)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 hot red pepper, de-seeded
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Grind the garlic in a mortar, slowly adding the de-seeded hot pepper and olive oil to make a paste. Place into a clean jar, add other ingredients and stir well. Let stand for about an hour before serving.
-By Rosemary Parkinson
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org