Cornmeal Porridge with Orange Peel
Photo by digiwerxstudio.com
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
Camile Swap, a theology and guidance counselling student living in Trinidad,says she got this simple but delicious recipe from her grandparents and aunts.
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 3 cups regular or soy milk
- Peel from one orange
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Pour water and milk in a pot and bring to boil.
- Drizzle cornmeal (through fingers) into the liquid, while constantly stirring.
- Add orange peel and stir.
- Reduce heat and cook until the mixture reaches your desired thickness.
- Flavour with nutmeg, vanilla and sugar.
The older the orange peel, the better the flavour of the porridge.
-By Camile Swapp
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com