Banana porridge with molasses. Molasses, a dark sweet syrup, has a high concentration of iron and other minerals. Photo by Rosemary Parkinson
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
- 3 fingers of green bananas or plantains, peeled and grated
- 1 cup milk
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup flour
- Pinch of salt
- Sugar, honey or molasses, to taste
- Wash, peel and grate bananas.
- Add flour and salt to grated bananas and mix well.
- Beat mixture with fork and water, until smooth.
- Bring water to a boil, add milk and bring to boil again.
- Pour in banana mixture, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Stir until mixture becomes thick.
- Let simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Sweeten to taste and add nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon.
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com