Photo by Rosemary Parkinson
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
Dian Watson shares her grandmothers’ heartwarming hominy porridge recipe. A Christmas morning without hominy would be like no Christmas at all. “It brings back memories of my grandmother in the kitchen, the excitement and aroma of Christmas and a childhood filled with happiness.”
- ½ pack or 1 small pack of hominy corn
- 3 tins evaporated milk
- 3 tins condensed milk
- 2 cups coconut milk powder
- 2 nutmegs, fresh and grated
- 1 ½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Place corn in a heavy pot with enough water to cover kernels. Add 1 tin condensed milk. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat immediately. Stir constantly and cook until kernels are soft.
- Add evaporated milk. Mix coconut milk with some of the evaporated milk and add to corn.
- Also add nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla.Let simmer on low heat until liquid and kernels thicken.
- Add remaining condensed milk and stir.
- Pour into cereal bowls and sprinkle with nutmeg for garnish.
Prepare as above, let cool and refrigerate.
Pour into dessert dishes and top with whipped cream or fresh fruit.
- The secret to hominy corn porridge...is in the preparation.
- Soak the hominy in a crock pot overnight with salt and cinnamon powder.
-By Dian Watson
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com