- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Add cumin seed and garlic. Cook until garlic is almost burnt.
- Add water with salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- Add curry powder and yellow split peas and allow to simmer until completely soft.
- Strain lightly through a sieve.
- When cold, mash the peas completely with a fork.
- Form the roti mixture (see recipe) into a ball, make a deep hole through the middleand place some of the dhal (split pea) mixture inside.
- Close the opening of the hole by pinching and roll out on a floured board.
- Place the flattened dough on a hot, lightly oiled tawa or griddle and cook on both side - about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
-By Moby Dick Restaurant
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: