Peanut and Cream of Wheat Porridge
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
Juicy Black (the Bob Marley of porridge) of Maverley, St. Andrew, cooks his porridge by divine inspiration, so do not expect exact measurements, he says. However, you can make a version of this porridge with the recipe below. Experiment to customize it to your taste.
- 1 cup raw peanuts (red skin and all)
- ½ cup cream of wheat
- 3 cups water
- Condensed milk,to taste
- Honey or sugar, if desired
- Horse tonic (optional — see note below)
- Blend peanuts and cream of wheat. Add to 3 cups of boiling water. Stir constantly.
- Add condensed milk and continue stirring.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat, add more condensed milk, if desired, vanilla, cinnamon, honey or sugar, and horse tonic.
- Sprinkle grated nutmeg on top.
- The only explanation we could get from Juicy Black and his two assistants was that the dark (reputedly potent liquid) is called horse tonic because the bottle comes with a picture of a horse on it.
- We also note that horse tonic and its supposed powerful effects were popular topics for some of the island’s DJs back in the 1980s.
-By Juicy Black
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org