Whole Wheat, Plantain and Carrot Porridge
winter 2007 JamaicanEats
While most people go out and buy specific ingredients to make their porridge, Garwood, a computer engineer with Fujitsu in New Kingston, throws together whatever he has at home.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 large green plantain
- 1 large carrot
- 1 sachet coconut milk powder
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- Cinnamon leaves
- To sweeten, in order of preference, wet sugar, honey, brown sugar
- Bring water to a boil.
- Blend coconut milk powder and whole wheat flour with water to make a smooth paste. Add to boiling water. Stir to avoid lumps.
- Lower the flame and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend green plantain and carrot. Pour into coconut and whole wheat mixture. Add more coconut milk if necessary. Turn up heat and let it come to a boil.
- Lower flame once again. Keep stirring. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from stove, add nutmeg, vanilla, honey or sugar to sweeten.
- Use soy milk to make thinner.
Variation: Add Earthshake (a mix of soy milk and oats).
Toss in other vegetables of choice.
-By Neville Garwood
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com