Arroz con Dulce (Coconut Rice Pudding)
Photo by Dihara Quinones
Issue 2 (November) 2015
This is a traditional Christmas dessert in Puerto Rico
- 2 cups rice, short grain
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 inch, fresh ginger root
- 10 cloves, whole
- 3 each cinnamon stick
- 3 each Star anise, whole
- 6 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsps. salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. butter, unsalted
- Ground cinnamon, as needed
- 1. Cover rice with water and leave at room temperature for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours before making recipe.
- In a small saucepan, combine water, ginger root, cloves, cinnamon and star anise. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- In a stainless steel medium-sized stockpot, combine coconut and evaporated milk. Drain spiced water into stockpot and remove the star anise and cloves but leave the cinnamon stick and ginger root. Bring to a boil, lower temperature and add rice.
- Cook over medium-low heat until rice is tender. Stir often to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the stockpot.
- Once the rice is tender, add the sugars, salt and raisins. Continue cooking over low heat until pudding thickens.
- Add butter and mix until combined. Serve immediately in desired plates.
Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and enjoy warm, at room temperature or cooled.
-By Pastry Chef Dihara Quinones
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org