Photo by Jennifer Mulligs
Issue 2 (November) 2015
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee
- 2 inch piece peeled ginger grated fine
- 2 tsp. pimento extract or liqueur
- 6-inch piece orange peel
- 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- Simmer the above ingredients together for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and when completely cooled remove cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mix together to make a simple syrup.
Direction to make the cake
- Add the cooled wet ingredients to flour and mix with the beaten egg until well combined.
- Bake in 9-inch greased pan at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Poke holes all over the top of the loaf when it comes out of the oven and glaze with the simple syrup.
-By Jennifer Mullings
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com