Avocado Fries 2 Ways
Photo by Jackie Fraser-Dunfield
Issue 2 (November) 2015
Crunchy and creamy at the same time.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 ripe avocados (firm, not mushy)
- Oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 200 degree F.
- Heat in in a pan until it registers 375 degrees F on a deep-fry thermometer.
- While oil is being heated, mix flour and salt in a shallow plate.
- Put beaten eggs and bread crumbs in two separate shallow plates.
- Peel avocados, remove the seeds and slice into 1/2-inch wedges. Dip avocado in flour, making sure to shake off excess flour. Dip in egg, then panko to coat. Set on 2 plates in a single layer.
- Fry several wedges of avocado slices at a time until deep golden – 30 to 60 seconds.
- Transfer fried slices to a plate lined with paper towel and keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining wedges.
Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Baked Jerk-Flavoured Avocado Fries
- 2 avocados
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. plus one tsp. jerk sauce
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and top with an oven-safe wire rack.
- Put flour, the beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs into separate shallow plates.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the jerk sauce into the flour with a fork.
- Peel avocados, remove the seeds and cut into 1/2-inch wedges.
- Dredge avocado slices first in the flour mixture, then the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Place the avocado slices on the wire rack and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of jerk sauce.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your mayo or dipping sauce of choice.
Variation: Substitute barbecue sauce for the jerk.
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com