Photo by Wendy Braithwaite
July, Issue 1, 2015 and March to July 2009
- 3 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 cups milk
- 12 cups flour
- Dissolve the dry yeast in 3 cups of warm water, adding salt and sugar after the yeast is dissolved. Let stand for about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Warm the 2 cups of milk with the butter. Do not boil. Add mixture to the yeast.
- Slowly stir in the flour, one cup at a time until dough is formed and it leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly flour the table and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut grapefruit-sized pieces of the dough and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Butter the entire circle with a pastry brush dipped in softened butter.
- Fold in half and then in half again. Use fingers to make indentations in the dough.
- Let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden.
- Brush the tops with butter as soon as they come out of the oven.
Makes 24 coco bread.
-By Jennifer Mullings
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org