Cuban Black Bean Soup
Photo by Carlington Wilmot
March-June 2009, JamaicanEats magazine
- 1 pound black beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 hot pepper, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- Sour cream with a pinch of cumin
- 1 fried plantain wafer for garnish
- 1. In a large pot place the washed beans, cover with water plus a little extra.
- Add bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and hot pepper. Simmer until the beans are tender (45 minutes or longer) then remove the hot pepper.
- In a frying pan, sauté the green peppers and onions until translucent. Puree in a blender, this is the sofrito.
- In the same pan, sauté the garlic. Add to the beans, along with the sofrito, 1/4-cup olive oil, sugar, and vinegar.
- Season with salt and continue to cook until very thick, about 45 minutes.
- Garnish with cumin cream and fried plantain.
-By Chef Dennis McIntosh
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com