Photo by Rosemary Parkinson
- 3 pounds/1.5kg chicken or meat of your choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon spiced seasoning salt
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of seasonings, finely chopped
- 3 ounces ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound/450g sweet pepper
- 1 hot pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Chop chicken or meat into small pieces and season with all the ingredients. Marinate for 1 hour.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 pound/115g salted butter
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound/225g carrots, finely chopped
- 3 cups rice
- 2 cans pigeon peas
- Heat oil in large iron pan until very hot. Add brown sugar and cook until the sugar has melted. Add meat and marinade. Add butter and stir briskly until meat is browned.
- Add coconut milk, water, salt to taste, and carrots.
- Add rice and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add pigeon peas and raisins and let rice boil down
-By Rosemary Parkinson
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: