Cornmeal Scramble with Saltfish
Yummy Turned Cornmeal (Polenta) Scramble Photo by Elaine Simms
Issue 3, 2018
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk or nut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of garlic salt
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil for sauteing
- 8 ozs. saltfish, cooked, flaked
- Mix together cornmeal, milk, water and garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for another 3 - 5 mins., making sure to stir frequently until the cornmeal is thick and creamy.
- Spread the cornmeal evenly in a medium-sized rectangular dish. Place in the freezer for 10 - 15 mins.
- While the cornmeal is in the freezer, add a pinch of salt and pepper to the diced zucchini and set aside.
- Remove turned cornmeal from freezer and turn out onto a cutting board. Cut into cubes and set aside.
- Preheat a deep frying pan over medium heat. Grease well with coconut or vegetable oil. Add bell pepper and carrot. Cook for 3 mins., stirring occasionally. Add zucchini and cook for 2 more mins.
- Add vegetable broth and saltfish, cook for another 2 mins., stirring frequently.
- Fold in the turned cornmeal cubes, add the parsley. Adjust salt and pepper to your taste. Cook for 3-5 mins., or until the turned cornmeal is warm and lightly browned.
Prevent lumpy turned cornmeal:
- Drizzle the cornmeal through your fingers into the liquid as you stir.
- Make sure to soak or simmer saltfish in water to make it less salty.
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org