Gungo Peas Soup
Photo by Carlington Wilmot
Issue 2, November 2015
The recipe is vegetarian. Scroll down for information on adding meat.
- 1 lb. dried gungo peas soaked overnight in cold water (or canned peas)
- 16 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cho cho (chayote or christophene), peeled and diced
- 1 small dasheen/tarot peeled and diced (or yellow yam)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- Flour to make spinners*
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 green scallions, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 4 ozs. coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine gungo peas with vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender and begin to split open.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, cho cho, dasheen, onion, thyme and Scotch bonnet.
- Allow to boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the coconut milk, spinners, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 45 mins. to an hour, stirring as the food cooks and the soup gets thicker.
* Note: Add spinners (cigar-shaped flour dumplings). Mix flour (about a cup), pinch of salt with water to form a dough. Pinch pieces of the dough and roll into spinners.
Note: Make it MEATY by adding chopped pig’s tail and/or stew beef cut into cubes. Total of 1 1/2 lbs. of meat. Soak salted pigtail in cold water to get rid of excess salt (preferably overnight).
-By JamaicanEats magazine
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com