Mild Jerk Duck Breast
With Mixed Baby Greens and Dasheen Wafers Drizzled with Soya Jackfruit Emulsion
- 4 ounces/112g corn oil for dasheen wafer
- 8 ounces/225g corn oil
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ounces/60g soy sauce (light soy)
- 2 cups of ripe jackfruit flesh
- 1 pound dasheen (to make wafers)
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- 4 ounces/112g mixed baby greens
- 8 ounces/225g boneless duck breast
- Score the skin of the duck breast with a sharp knife. This will help to release some of the fat in the duck breast.
- Place breast into a bowl and add jerk seasoning, minced ginger, salt and pepper. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium-hot pan, place duck breast, skin side down. Sear until golden brown and turn over and cook for 2 more minutes. The duck breast should be medium rare. Set aside and allow too cool.
- Prepare the jackfruit and soya emulsion by adding a pinch of salt to the jackfruit and leaving it to sit for half an hour to extract the juice. Then blend until you reach a smooth consistency.
- On medium speed slowly pour in the corn oil, add soy sauce and juice of one lime to taste.
- To make the dasheen wafers, slice dasheen thinly and place in salted water. Drain off water and dry. Fry in corn oil until golden brown. Place on paper towel to remove some of the oil.
- To put the dish together, place a small amount of mixed greens in the centre of the plate, place the dasheen wafers on top with slice duck breast and repeat this with the rest of the dressing on top.
-By Martin Maginley
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: