Peppy's Jamaican Rice and Peas
- 1 onion or 3 spring onions,
- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red finger chilli, seeded and
- very finely chopped
- 450g (1 lb) long grain rice
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 7.5 cm (3 in) cinnamon stick (optional)
- 397g (14 oz) can red kidney beans,
- black-eyed peas or pigeon peas
- 125g (5 oz) creamed coconut
- 1 litre (1 3/4 pints) hot water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the onion in the oil and butter for 2 minutes then add the garlic and chilli and fry for another 2 minutes over a medium heat.
- Stir in the rice, thyme and cinnamon stick until everything is well coated in the oil.
- Pour in the kidney beans, add the grated creamed coconut and stir until the coconut has dissolved so it's nice and creamy. If using canned peas, make sure to rinse before using.
- Then stir in the water with a 1/2 tsp. of salt, bring to the boil, cover and cook over a low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside, undisturbed, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and cinnamon, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
NOTE: Powdered coconut and canned coconut cream can also be used.
-By Ainsley Harriott
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: