Escoveitch Pickle Sauce
Photo by Carlington Wilmot
If you can stand the heat, make your own Escoveitch Pickle Sauce.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cho cho (christophene, chayote), peeled, cored and cut into strips
- 2 Scotch bonnet (or other hot pepper), deseeded and cut into strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into strips
- 2-3 medium onions, sliced into thin rings
- 2 tablespoons of pimento/allspice grains
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Place ingredients in a saucepan and heat until vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Store in a jar with a secure lid.
-By Martin Maginley
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: