Photo by Gina Rey Forest
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups grated coconut
- 1 1/2 pounds/665g brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 ounce butter
- Boil water and sugar on a low heat to make syrup.
- Add all other ingredients, except butter, to the syrup and boil for another 15 minutes. Stir the ingredients with a fork every few minutes.
- Add butter and stir ingredients to cook for another 6 minutes or until butter is completely melted.
- Allow filling to cool.
For the Pastry Shell
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sift flour and salt together. Cut in butter and shortening and add water to make dough.
- Place dough in plastic wrapping and keep in the fridge for half an hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out, with a rolling pin, on a floured surface.
- Cut circles (about 8) in the dough and turn up and pinch around the edges (to create a holder for the coconut mixture).
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Add the coconut filling and bake for a further 20 minutes. Let cool and then eat.
Alternative: Buy small pie shells at the supermarket and spoon in coconut filling. Bake at 350.
-By Enid Donaldson-Mignotte
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: