Caribbean ginger beer 3 ways
Recipe of the Week (Passport) December 2017
- 1 lb. fresh ginger root, peeled
- 10 cups hot water
- 3-5 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 tbsp rice grains, uncooked
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
- In a blender, blend pieces of fresh ginger in batches with water and pour mixture in large bowl. (This can also be done with a hand grater)
- Add cloves and rice to mixture and steep in fridge overnight (or for at least 4 hours, if making same day).
- Pour mixture in a fine strainer strain steeped ginger beer into another bowl.
- Add lime juice, sugar and, if using, to ginger beer and stir
- Pour into a large bottle and store in fridge
Serve over ice
- By Freda Gore, Owner/Tour Host of Caribbean Culinary Tours and Vacations
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh ginger
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Seltzer water
- Lemon slices
- Ice cubes
- In a large saucepan, stir the ginger with the water and sugar.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture COOL completely.
- By Nadine Nelson
Make it a more Adult Drink
- 3/4 cup ginger beer
- 2 cups stout
- Pour ginger beer into a glass.
- Slowly add the stout, making sure the foam doesn't get too thick.
-By Freda Gore and Nadine Nelson
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: