Coconut Rum Bread Pudding
Recipe of the Week
This coconut rum bread pudding (courtesy of Taste the Islands ) is divine with the addition of coconut milk, coconut rum and shredded coconut. The caramel rum sauce adds even more amazing deliciousness.
For the Pudding
- 1lb day-old heavy bread, torn into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 2½ cups evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut rum
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 stick butter, melted
For the Caramel-Rum Sauce
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp dark rum
Direction for the Pudding
- Set the oven to 350°. Set a large pot of water to boil.
- Grease a large 9 x 12-pan. Add bread pieces to the pan.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together. Carefully pour the mixture over the bread making sure all the bread is saturated. Let this sit about 30 minutes to soak. Push down the bread so it remains saturated, then cover with foil tightly.
- Place a large roasting pan on a large cookie sheet. Then place the bread pudding pan inside the roasting pan. Now very carefully pour hot water into the roasting pan so the water reaches half way up the sides of the pan containing the pudding.
- Bake about 1 hour. The pudding is done when the centre is firm and the top is golden brown.
Direction for the Caramel-Rum Sauce
- Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.
Adapted from elboricua.com
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: