Master Chef Nigel Spence of Ripe Kitchen and Bar in Mount Vernon, New York, serves up this tasty Jamaican Hummus.
Recipe of the Week (Passport) March 2018
Jamaican Hummus 2 ways...from Ripe Kitchen & Bar + Breadfruit Hummus
Jamaican Hummus, Ripe Kitchen & Bar
- 1 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1 cup canned or previously frozen garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1/2- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt (yes, it needs that much)
- 2 tsp finely chopped Scotch bonnet pepper
- Finishing oil and spices
- 1 tbsp olive oil (substitute warm coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1/2 tsp zaatar (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tbsp dried Scotch bonnet pepper
- Add tahini, lemon juice and salt to the bowl of mixer or food processor and blend for 1 minute. Slowly add water in a stream until mixture is smooth and silky like the texture of thick pancake batter. Mixture will get thicker before it ultimately loosens up while streaming the water in.
- If using the mixer, then transfer the mixture from mixing bowl to a food processor, then add the chick peas, garlic and scotch bonnet pepper. Blend for a minute, adding additional water as necessary to keep the mixture smooth and silky and not too thick and chunky.
- Transfer to a large bowl and spread hummus all the way around and up the side of the rim of the bowl, creating a well in the middle.
- Sprinkle with any and all of the optional spices and olive or coconut oil. Serve at room temperature.
Breadfruit Flour Hummus (Lammas Dip)
From Trees That Feed Foundation
-By Ripe Kitchen and Bar & Trees That Feed Foundation (TTFF)
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com