Sweet Potato Fruit Cake
Photo by Franz Marzouca
Winter 2007, JamaicanEats magazine
- 8 ounces/225 g brown sugar
- 8 ounces/225 g margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sweet potato flour (Make your own sweet potato flour, see below)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup rum and wine
- 2 cups fruits (homemade, soaked and blended)
- Browning as desired
- Grease tin and sieve dry ingredients.
- Cream sugar and margarine.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add browning.
- Mix together all dry ingredients and fold in alternately with fruits.
- Bake at 300 degree F or until done.
HOW TO…MAKE SWEET POTATO FLOUR
- Wash and peel good quality sweet potato. Slice thinly.
- Dry the chips under the sun or use an artificial dryer until chips crack.
- Grind the dried chips using an 80 mesh sieve,or pound with a mortar and pestle.
- Grind the coarse flour and sift again. Pack the fine flour.
In some recipes steamed, mashed sweet potatoes can be used in place of the flour:
- To steam, place cubed sweet potatoes in a steamer basket.
- Place the basket in a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of steamer.
- Allow potatoes to steam for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Mash the cooked potatoes.
Look for sweet potato flour in health, specialty and whole food stores, or check online web sites.
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org