- 2 cups ground split peas (split pea flour)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water (or more, if needed)
- 1 cup oil, for deep frying
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Mix split peas, garlic, turmeric, baking powder, flour, salt and pepper.
- Add enough water to make a thick batter. Taste and adjust and pepper.
- Heat cup of oil in a heavy pot.
- Scoop batter by the teaspoon and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry, turning often to ensure that all sides are cooked, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve with Mango or Tamarind Chutney
Variation: Add 1/4 cup plain yogurt. Mix split peas, garlic, turmeric, baking powder, flour, salt and pepper. Make a well in the centre and add yogurt and a cup of water. Beat to make the batter. Add a bit more water if the batter is too thick.
-By Passport to Caribbean Food
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org