Antiguan Christmas Ham
- 3 to 4 pounds/1 1/2 kg smoked ham
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons Angostura Bitters
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Cloves, pineapples and cherries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For marinade mix brown sugar, mustard, marmalade, rum and bitters in a bowl, set aside.
- Remove skin from ham and score the remaining fat. Place cloves into sections of the fat. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Pour half the marinade over the ham. Bake for a further 20 minutes.5. Attach pieces or rings of pineapple onto ham with toothpicks. Pour remaining marinade over ham and return to oven for a further 25 minutes or until thoroughly cooked – but not overcooked. Ham should be moist.
- Before serving, add cherries for colour.
- To make gravy: Remove the leftover juice from the pan in which the ham was baked and place in a small pot. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of flour in water and pour into saucepan. Stir and add water until gravy is of desired thickness. Test for flavour, adding salt, pepper and seasonings to reach desired taste.
-By Chef Mark Cole
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com