Ripe Plantain Cream Cheese Dip
July, Issue 1, 2015
The perfect pairing for green plantain chips. Or, try it with pita bread or crunchy vegetables.
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and sliced in 1-inch chunks
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup dark rum
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- A few cracks of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Paprika for garnish
- Set medium sauce pan with oil on medium heat. Get temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Place plantain chunks in oil in small batches and fry until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel to drain.
- Place ½ orange juice in bottom of blender then add cream cheese and half the plantains. Pour the rest of the liquid, sugar and add the spices. Pulse until ingredients come together, then add the remaining plantains and puree until smooth.
- Check for seasoning then transfer the dip to a nice bowl. Sprinkle with a little paprika for colour.
Arrange chips on a plate next to dip for guests.
1. Frying thermometer
If using a food processor, all ingredients can be added at same time.
If too thick add a little more orange juice and perhaps a little more rum.
- Chef Irie
-By Chef Irie, Taste the Islands
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com