Photo by Donnette Mason . Food Styling by Leisha Lyn-Cook
Issue 3, 2017
- 1 lb. all-purpose flour
- 6 ozs. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk powder
- 1 oz. butter
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 10 ozs water (at room temperature)
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, Use a whisk to aerate and remove lumps.
- Add the butter using the tips of your fingers to run through the flour mixture.
- Add water and vanilla mix in a circular mixture until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough by hand for 5 mins.
- Cover with a damp cloth or paper towel and allow to rest 15-20 mins.
- Pre-heat oil to 350 to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out dough into 2 oz balls and roll evenly into 8-inch cylinders. Place on a floured tray to rest.
- Fry festivals in batch of five making sure not to crowd the pot.
- Fry until the festivals are a nice golden brown in colour.
Yields 15-20 2-ounce festivals
- Roll the dough in a back and forth motion and from the middle out to the ends for consistency in size.
- The ends of the festivals should be rounded instead of pointy.
- Use a thermometer to test if the oil is ready for frying or drop a small piece of the dough, which should form bubbles in the oil.
- Chef walker@recipeclub22018 . Facebook @streetfoodsaturdays
-By Simone Walker-Barrett
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org