Jamaican Ripe Banana Fritters with Cinnamon-Sugar and Rum
Issue 3, 2017
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Dark rum, for serving
- Mash the bananas with the flour, brown sugar, lime juice, and egg in a medium bowl until smooth. Season lightly with salt.
- In another bowl, mix the granulated sugar with the cinnamon.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over med-high. Working in batches, drop tablespoonfuls of batter into the oil. Cook the fritters, turning once, until they are a dark golden
- brown, about 4 mins.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fritters onto paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar until evenly coated.
- Drizzle with the dark rum and serve hot.
Use very ripe bananas as they will mash the best and create a smooth, sweet batter.
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org