Rundown Saltfish Stuffed Breadfruit
Photo Sara Mair-Doak
Issue 3, 2016
- 1 large roasting breadfruit
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, salted cod (saltfish)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 tomato, julienned, reserve the heart
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 allspice berry (pimento)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- Place saltfish in water. Soak overnight in the fridge and pull apart the next morning.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. When heated, add the coconut oil allspice berry, thyme and garlic. Cook until the garlic starts turning golden brown and then add the onion.
- Cook until the onion is translucent. At that point, add the peppers and sauté just until they start getting soft.
- Add the coconut milk, all the tomato, saltfish, Scotch bonnet and turn the heat down to medium and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you like it spicy, chop up the Scotch bonnet pepper.
- Next, cut the core out of the breadfruit and rub the inside of the breadfruit with softened butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use about 1/4 of the rundown to stuff the breadfruit. Wrap it in foil and roast until done (about 1 hour). Serve with the remaining saltfish rundown.
-By Sara Mair-Doak
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: email@example.com