Haitian Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup water
- Rind of 1/2 lime
- *1 cup raw chocolate, grated from a Jamaican chocolate ball
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 star anise teaspoon star anise
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pimento/allspice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch kosher salt
- Whipped cream for topping, optional
*Substitute dark cocoa powder
- Heat the water, chocolate, lime, cinnamon, star anise and allspice over a medium heat. Stir until all the chocolate is dissolved.
- Add sugar, coconut milk, milk and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Strain the hot chocolate mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the spices.
- Serve piping hot. Serve with whipped cream, if using.
The Haitian chocolate ball is traditionally called chokola peyi.
We Want Your Snaps Cooking, Eating, Enjoying Caribbean. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org